My 3 yr old daughter took this pic of me

Friday, January 21, 2011

Why Am I Here?

Today I was talking to a close friend and the questions, "Why am I really here? What is my purpose?" popped into my head. I spend my days with my kids, educating them, grooming them, playing with them. I clean my house and prepare food for my family. I run errands and pay bills, go to bed, get up the next day and do the same things all over again. It can be so monotonous, seemingly pointless. However, those little people are always looking up to me to see what to do next, how to do something, how to act in a certain situation. They learn how to love, how to care, how to do things. Unfortunately, they pick up on the bad things, too. I have the perfect opportunity to really show them things like honesty, love, not complaining, not losing my temper when things don't go my way, how to be patient, helpful, share.

I often hope to be able to share with other people, my peers, the things that I feel so strongly about. And often, we disagree.They won't be swayed. I guess what I'm getting at is that God has blessed us with these little people who are yearning to be like us, spend time with us, and really learn what life is all about. It's up to us to show them the way, teach them what's important, and help them along that road. These little ones will be men and women someday. Maybe they'll be men and women making a difference in the world for the glory of God. Maybe we can have a hand in that. Search out your day for those important moments that you can share some special teaching with your little ones. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 19:14

In Matthew 18:1-5 it says:
 At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."

I may be stuck at home with the kids doing what seems meaningless most of the time, but I can use this time wisely and impart to my children the wisdom and teachings of our Lord. I may not be able to attend every Bible study or evangelize or travel the world, but I can make a mark on this world right here in my own living room. I am thankful for the opportunity to raise my children in the ways of the Lord. They are a blessing and an heritage. My purpose here is a great one. A great responsibility and a great privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment