My 3 yr old daughter took this pic of me

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Why I Go

I am, and always have been, very stubborn about not missing church. Lots of Christians don't think that missing church is a big deal, but I'm not one of them. And I'm not judging the ones who think that way, either. I just want to share why I go.

I'll start by saying that it's Sunday, Mother's Day, and I didn't go to church today. I could have, but I didn't. We've had these stubborn colds/sinus infections for weeks and weeks and weeks now, and I was supposed to teach Sunday school this morning and would not have been able to. I would've had to keep one of my kids with me in the service as she's sick and I can't put her in the nursery. My husband needed the vehicle to go to work, cuz our other two vehicles need repairs right now. He was leaving for work at 5:30 this morning. I had a long weekend and was very busy and very tired. I just thought it'd be a better idea to stay in bed, rest, and go to church next week.

I was wrong.

Going to church really gives me that boost that I need for the week. Without it, I find I struggle a lot more through my days.

Running into my Christian friends and catching up and having them pray for me (and me pray for them) means a lot to me.

The messages at our church are very down to earth, relevant, powerful messages and they always hit home. They are life changing and rich.

When I have the opportunity to teach the little 3 year olds about how much Jesus loves them, it makes my day. It's a powerful thing to develop a relationship with a little child and invest in their eternal lives. I really missed them today :( (although I wouldn't have been able to teach today anyway)

If a relationship is important to you, you invest in it. My relationship with God is the most important relationship in my life, so committing a couple hours a week is my "date" with God. 

Going regularly is like have spiritual showers. Being refreshed, renewed. It brings peace and rest to my heart and soul. It keeps me on track. It encourages me and lifts me up. It gives me hope.

Seriously....who would want to miss that????

Fortunately, I have access to my God at any time of day or night, right in my own home. But still, it's good for the soul to be with other like-minded people and to receive the teaching that we need to grow. It's more than good. It's important.

Romans 12:2b  
...be transformed by the renewal of your mind....

Hebrews 10:24-25
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

So next time I am deciding whether or not to go......I'm going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment