My 3 yr old daughter took this pic of me

Friday, August 26, 2011

Faux Window Insert

Once a year (or so) I get super motivated to do a ton of projects around the house......for about a month. Well, this is that month, I guess. :) For quite awhile now, I've wanted to fake a window insert in the girls' bedroom window, but wasn't sure how I was gonna do it. My thoughts were: cheap/use what's on hand. As usual :)

Luckily I couldn't find my white electrical tape anywhere (don't think it would've turned out as good as what I did use) and so I opted for this......


Silver dollar store curling ribbon...Yay! I should write a book for all the uses for ribbon lol

So this is the window before (which you can't see very well since it is daytime and there is so much light coming in)


They're old, dirty, and inefficient, with holes in the screen - yuck. boring. 

I used my "new" handy-dandy glue gun (thanks Dad #2) and measured and hot glued the ribbon in place. I opted for gluing it onto the back (outside) part of the window, instead of on the inside where the girls could rip it off. Plus it should hold up fine since there's another window panel between it and the outside.

I got my diamond shapes a little off, but what I learned about measuring for them was:

I measured my Left Height and divided that number by 3.
I measured my Bottom Width and divided that number by 3.
I measured from the Bottom to the Top on the Left side and marked every 9 1/4 in.
Then from Top Left to Right every 7 1/4 in.
Then from Top to Bottom on the Right side every 9 1/4 in.
and from Bottom Right to Left every 7 1/4 in.
Then I used a blue marker and marked the window frame with little dots where I would need to put glue.
I started by gluing a piece of ribbon from Bottom Left corner to Top Right corner and then another piece from Bottom Right corner to Top Left corner.



Then I glued my ribbons on diagonally. For the criss-crossing ribbon (the ones going in the opposite direction to the ones already glued on) I didn't have to measure, just line it up with the existing ribbons. Hope that made sense.

I like how the silver ribbon matches the windows so well :)

End result (after cleaning windows, of course):


It gives the room more of a girly/castle feel :)


Changed the curtains for now - made these a couple of years ago.

3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! So simple really and yet such a huge change. Can't believe you didn't have to spend any money either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, when I am online reading your blogs, I tend to zone out and forget everything else...I am distracted by your awesomeness! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. The window inserts provide insulation and energy savings comparable to double-pane or triple-pane windows.

    ReplyDelete