My 3 yr old daughter took this pic of me

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Kids' chairs project!!!

Hey! It's THE NEXT DAY since my last post! Aren't I doing good!!? :) So, on www.freecycle.org you can get anything and everything for FREE! You DO have to offer some things from time to time to keep things fair and flowing, of course, but it's fabulous! So I found these little kids' chairs on freecycle last week and they looked great.....BUT they had no seats. No problem. I asked for them, went and picked them up, and got to work. They are in great shape....see?


So I started by using a flat screwdriver to scrape the remnants of the old, missing seat off of the front and back edges of the chairs....


Then I found a board from an old Ikea bed I had laying around. I'm sure you've all seen these before :) I have an abundance of them and they are GREAT for stuff like this :)


I used my handy-dandy, scary table saw to cut the board in 3 pieces - each 10 1/2 inches long....


I had to use pliers to pull out those staples and fabric.
The edges were really rough and splintery, so I used my green sandpaper (given to me by my sister, Gerda - thanks, G!) and sanded the ends smooth....


Then I used these finishing nails to nail them onto the edges of the frame. I was a little worried that the wood might split, but I just tried to nail the boards in an area that wasn't right on the grain......


And VOILA! A beautiful, little kids' chair - perfectly functional and safe :)

I may woodburn my kids' names in the backs of the chairs and maybe even do a woodburned design on the seats, but we'll see :) If I do, I will for sure update this post and add those pics! I just LOVE a fun + quick project! This project took me about 20 minutes per chair.....

1 comment: